[An-lang] quantifying loans in Philippine languages

Christopher Sundita cas536 at cornell.edu
Sun Jul 5 04:54:09 UTC 2015

Hi Piers,

I am currently travelling so I don't have access to my resources at the
moment. But based on what I remember off hand, I suggest checking out
José Panganiban's 1969 "Tesauro Pilipino-Ingles."  I recall that he
estimated the origins of Tagalog's word loanwords that he figured out in
the course of compiling the dictionary. There may be similar estimates in
dictionaries for other Philippine languages like Mintz's Bikol dictionary,
Wolff's Cebuano one, Rubino's Ilokano one, etc.

As for semantic domains. I do know that Gloria Chan-Yap's 1974 dissertation
"Hokkien Borrowings in Tagalog" categorizes Hokkien loanwords by semantic
domain. And  I *think* TH Pardo de Tavera's 1919 "Lo sánscrito en lengua
tagalog" does the same with Sanskrit words that entered Tagalog via Malay.

--Chris Sundita