[An-lang] Assistant Professor (Language Documentation and Conservation), University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa

Gary Holton holton at hawaii.edu
Thu Jan 28 16:47:27 UTC 2016

(Apologies for cross-postings)

http://bit.ly/UH-asstprof

ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF LINGUISTICS IN LANGUAGE DOCUMENTATION AND
 CONSERVATION: The Department of Linguistics at the University of Hawai‘i
at Mānoa invites applications for  a full-time, tenure-track position
(position no. 84110) in Linguistics, with specialization in language
 documentation and conservation, to begin August 1, 2016.

The Department of Linguistics, long known for its sustained contributions
to Asia-Pacific linguistics, is a world leader in language documentation
research and training. Our many influential initiatives include the
biennial International Conference on Language Documentation & Conservation
(ICLDC), the journal Language Documentation & Conservation, the Language
Documentation Training Center, and the Catalogue of Endangered Languages.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR: Teach undergraduate/graduate courses in area of
specialization; advise graduate students; conduct and publish research in
area of specialization; pursue opportunities for external funding; perform
related tasks as assigned.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Doctoral degree in linguistics or related field
from a college or university of  recognized standing (ABD will be
considered, but evidence must be provided that all requirements for the
degree will be completed by 07/31/2016). Applicants are expected to have
experience and expertise in language documentation and conservation,
practical fieldwork experience, and a successful research program. Evidence
of successful teaching in undergraduate and/or graduate linguistics courses
is required.

DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: Specialization in a language or languages of the
Pacific. We are interested in candidates able to participate fully in the
department’s many language documentation and conservation activities, and
whose research and teaching interests enhance and complement the strengths
of the department. We seek someone who is able to interact well with
students and faculty in our department and in other departments.

SALARY: Commensurate with experience.

TO APPLY: Send a letter of application, CV, copies of key relevant
publications, teaching and research statements, names and contact
information for three referees, and transcripts (copies acceptable at time
of application; however, original transcripts required upon hire) by email
to linguist at hawaii.edu with "Assistant Professor" in the subject line.

Although electronic submissions are preferred, hard copy applications are
acceptable. Priority will be given to those postmarked by February 29,
2016. Address to: Chair, Hiring Committee, Department of Linguistics,
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, 1890 East-West Road, Honolulu, HI 96822,
USA. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Failure to submit all
required documents shall deem an application to be incomplete.

CLOSING DATE: Continuous recruitment: Evaluation of applications and
supporting materials will begin as applications are received and continue
until the position is filled. Applications received by February 29, 2016
will be given priority.

INQUIRIES: Same address as application (linguist at hawaii.edu). We regret
that we cannot accept applications via fax. Phone: 808-956-8602.

The University of Hawai‘i is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
institution. UH does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin,
age, disability or veteran status.