[An-lang] Etymology of Mussau maotake

John Brownie john_brownie at sil.org
Thu Mar 30 02:15:15 UTC 2017

In Mussau-Emira we have the term maotake 'raw, uncooked'. In looking at
historical forms, I see the PAN *ma-qataq 'raw, unripe', though I'm a
bit dubious about that due to the vowel changes and the fact that it
becomes POc *mataq. There is also the POc *qodaq 'eat something raw'.
Intriguingly, there's also PWMP *maosak, but that has an opposite
meaning, 'ready to be eaten, ripe, cooked'.

Does anyone have some better insight than I as to where the Mussau-Emira
term comes from?

John
--
John Brownie
In Australia on furlough from SIL Papua New Guinea