[An-lang] Etymology of Mussau maotake

John Lynch johnlynch123 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 04:00:20 UTC 2017

John

Bob replied to you only, not to the list. Your reply to him came back to
the list, but didn't include anything about what he had said. Do you think
you could share Bob's suggestion with all of us?

Thanks,

John

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 2:53 PM, John Brownie <john_brownie at sil.org> wrote:

> OK, thanks. That's helpful.
>
> Another case is matavanga 'open space, clearing'. The best match I can see
> is actually PWMP, *tawaŋ, but I wonder if that is a plausible connection.
> I'm looking at reflexes of *ma-, which are very restricted in my data, but
> this might be one.
>

> John
> --
> John Brownie
> In Australia on furlough from SIL Papua New Guinea

John Lynch, FAHA
Emeritus Professor of Pacific Languages, and Editor "Oceanic Linguistics"
University of the South Pacific
PMB 9072
Port Vila.  VANUATU
Phone: (+678) 25036    Mobile: (+678) 5920220    Fax: (+678) 22633