[An-lang] 'intrusive' nasal in independent pronouns

David Mead mead2368 at gmail.com
Mon May 22 23:34:04 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has written about the nasal that shows up for
example in the independent pronouns of certain Sulawesi languages
(data below).

The curious part, at least among the Sulawesi languages I've looked
at, is the nasal is present in some languages, absent in closely
related languages, but no language maintains n- and n-less forms as a
living contrast.

Compare for example the independent pronouns in Wolio and its sister
language Kamaru. The nasal also shows up in the interrogative pronoun
meaning 'who?' (Note that historically ns shifted to nc in Wolio.)

         WOLIO        KAMARU
1s      iaku         iaku
1pn     ingkita      ikita
1px     ingkami      ikami
2s      ingkoo       iko'o
2p      ingkomiu     ikomiu
3       incia        isia

who?    incema       isema

Note also the independent pronouns in Tolaki and Mori Atas. (Note
that historically ngk shifted to ngg in Tolaki.)

         TOLAKI       MORI ATAS
1s      inaku        iaku
1pn     inggito      ikito
1px     inggami      ikami
2s      inggo'o      iiko
2p      inggomiu     ikomiu
3       ie'i         iwono
3       ihiro        iworo

who?    inae         isea

I'm curious as to what might be the historical source of this
'intrusive' or 'facultative' nasal (call it what you will).

David