[An-lang] Betta as a Javanese fish name

Robert Blust blust at hawaii.edu
Thu Jan 9 22:33:19 UTC 2020

Hello James,

This looks like Old Javanese *bĕtah* 'tenacious, stubborn, persistent,
tireless; possessing staying power, endurance, stamina' (first vowel
pronounced like the first or last vowel of English banana).  The modern
Javanese word appears to retain much the same sense and, of course, this
matches well
with how one might describe a Siamese fighting fish.

Best,

Bob Blust