[An-lang] A new publication (for free download): Discourse structures of Tetun Dili

Malcolm Ross malcolmross42 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 04:17:27 UTC 2020

I’m posting this on behalf of Catharina Williams-van Klinken <cwvk at livethedream.tl <mailto:cwvk at livethedream.tl>>.

From: "Catharina Williams-van Klinken" <cwvk at livethedream.tl <mailto:cwvk at livethedream.tl>>
Subject: A new publication (for free download): Discourse structures of Tetun Dili
Date: 4 November 2020 at 18:17:52 AEDT
To: <an-lang-bounces at anu.edu.au <mailto:an-lang-bounces at anu.edu.au>>

Dear colleagues,
A colleague and I have completed a provisional writeup of discourse analysis of Tetun Dili. I hope it is of use to others as it the process of writing was to us.
Regards,
Catharina Williams-van Klinken

Discourse structures of Tetun Dili, an Austronesian language of Timor-Leste, by Catharina Williams-van Klinken and Olinda Lucas, 2020
http://www.tetundit.tl/Publications/WvK%20and%20Lucas%202020%20Tetun%20Dili%20discourse.pdf <http://www.tetundit.tl/Publications/WvK%20and%20Lucas%202020%20Tetun%20Dili%20discourse.pdf>

Tetun Dili is an Austronesian language spoken in Timor-Leste (East Timor), where it has been a lingua franca for centuries, and a co-official language along with Portuguese since independence in 2002.
The authors draw on discourse analysis to describe two general areas that have not been covered in descriptions of the language to date.
The first is how language works beyond sentence level. For instance, how are stories structured, and how are participants referred to in a story?
The second is function within a text. For example, what are relative clauses used for?
The authors draw on in-depth discourse analysis of a corpus of primarily oral texts, supplemented by twenty years of  more general language analysis and extensive experience in translation and translation testing.

Prof. Catharina Williams-van Klinken
Director, Centre for Language Studies
Dili Institute of Technology
Website: www.tetundit.tl <http://www.tetundit.tl/>