ARABIC-L: English-Arabic Dictionary Query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Apr 1 18:30:27 UTC 1999

1) Subject: English-Arabic dictionary recommendations requested

Date: 01 Apr 1999
From: Grover Furr <FURRG at alpha.montclair.edu>
Subject: English-Arabic dictionary recommendations requested

I am continuing to study Arabic on my own, and continuing to make good
progress. Thanks to information received from members of this mailing
list, I've bought Wehr's dictionary, and a volume of Arabic newspaper
articles. I've also engaged a tutor, a native speaker who is very
helpful.

     My tutor insists that I try to write some MSA! I've tried, and
find I really need some kind of English-Arabic dictionary. Not an
encyclopedic one, just one for an advanced beginner to intermediate
student.

     I'd appreciate any recommendations. If you feel they would not be
suitable for this mailing list -- which, I realize, is made up
principally of experts in Arabic studies -- would you be so kind as to
email me privately, at

     furrg at alpha.montclair.edu

     In any case, thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

Grover C. Furr
English Department              |       Phone: (973) 655-7305
Montclair State University      |       email:
Upper Montclair, NJ 07043       |   furrg at alpha.montclair.edu

   "When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I
    asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist."
                        --Dom Helder Camara