ARABIC-L: LING: zaka:t & sha:wurma thanks

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Apr 15 21:58:47 UTC 1999

1) Subject: zaka:t & sha:wurma thanks

Date: 15 Apr 1999
From: Jim Rader <jrader at m-w.com>
Subject: zaka:t & sha:wurma thanks

My collective thanks to those members of the list (Muhammad Deeb,
Hanna Kassis, Antoine Lonnet, Zouhair Maalej) who sent me copious and
helpful information on these words.

For list members who might be curious, the consensus is that
<sha:wurma> (and variants) is a borrowing from Turkish <cevirme>
(<cevirme> with a cedilla under the c for those who can't read it).
<Cevirme> is a verbal noun meaning literally "turning, rotation,"
from the verb stem <cevir-> "to turn."

Jim Rader
Merriam-Webster, Inc.