Arabic-L:LING:Verb Morphology Response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Aug 5 17:16:37 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Verb Morphology Response

Date: 08 Aug 1999
From: "Munther A. Younes" <may2 at cornell.edu>
Subject: Verb Morphology Response

I am sure I heard  Ta<meet "I fed" (from the sound root /T<m/) used by
Palestinian speakers. As far as I know,  it is not used in my subdialect of
Palestinian (the Jenin area). I can't think of any other verbs that derive
from a sound root and have this structure. The form could be the result of
an analogy with sakeet "I gave water to", since the two verbs and their
their derivatives are frequently used together ('aT<amtu wsakeetu " I fed
him and gave him water").

Munther Younes
Cornell University