ARABIC-L: GEN: Algerian Music responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Feb 2 23:52:24 UTC 1999

1) Subject: "koubou" in the Algerian Rai song.
2) Subject: imperative plural
3) Subject: like "quluu"
4) Subject: waw+'alif Saamita marker

Date: 02 Feb 1999
From: "Dr Salah D. Hammoud, 333-4580" <HammoudSD.DFF.USAFA at usafa.af.mil>
Subject: "koubou" in the Algerian Rai song.

Re "koubou" in the Algerian Rai song.
That is exactly the difficulty in trying to answer queries about words
taken in total isolation, out of context and perhaps not very accurately
transcribed. And this, I think, is the case here.  So mine was an educated
guess at best, and I prefaced my answer by saying: " Not knowing the words
that follow [or precede], and not knowing the song ..." I was only able to
guess, hoping someone else will have a more definitive answer.  Younes' is
a possibility.

In Moroccan dialect which is the closest to the variety used in Algerian
Rai songs, but not exactly the same, "kubbu " means both what I suggested
"pour!,"(plural imperative) and "pour it" (masculin, singular imperative).
with the doubling of the [b] and the [u] as the vowel in "book." And Ihope
the initial inquirer will have a chance to check these suggestions against
others and deduce what will make most sense.

Salah.