ARABIC-L: PEDA: CD-roms / DVD-roms comments

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Feb 3 17:00:45 UTC 1999

1) Subject: CD-roms / DVD-roms

Date: 03 Feb 1999
From: hdavies at aucegypt.edu
Subject: CD-roms / DVD-roms

Dear Fred: I have Sakhr's Qur'an CD-rom and find it an excellent aid - I
keep it on-line as I work and am constantly dipping in, with the
greatest of ease.  Some reasonable reservations were raised about the
simplistic and ahistorical approach used in the "meanings" section, when
this CD was discussed on this list serve some time ago.  Also, rather
weirdly, the transciption of the sura titles in Latin characters appears
to reflect a non-Arabic (Persian?) original.  Finally, one might
complain that neither of the reciters included (Shaykh al-Husari and
Shaykh al-Hudhayfi) is very interesting aesthetically.  But, basically,
it's a God-send, of course. Mine is version 7.0; title: The Holy Qur'an;
serial number CDQ700; following email addresses/sites on box -
heritage at sakhr.com; www.al-islam.com.  Sakhr is connected to Digitek in
the US: sakhrus at erols.com.

	Sakhr now has a new version of their Hadith out (advertised on
Arabic-L).  I hope they have overcome the SLOWNESS of the version I
bought, which makes it virtually unusable.  I have Version (or perhaps
Release ('isdar)) 2; title (Arabic only) Mawsu'at al-Hadith  al-Sharif.

Best wishes.