ARABIC-L: LING: Origin of "Kuwait" responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Feb 3 16:57:51 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Diminuitive of /Kuut/
2) Subject: Sanskrit "kot"

Date: 03 Feb 1999
From: MOHAMMED M JIYAD <mmjiyad at unix.amherst.edu>
Subject: Diminuitive of /Kuut/

MarHaban,

I checked Al-Raazy's Mukhtaar AS-SaHHaaH and could not find the
root/Kaaf-Waaw-Taa'/. In Lisaan Al-Carab, however,  I found the root and
the adjective that is derived from it /Kuuty/ which means "short."
My guess is that "Kuwait," (and I hope this should not be taken as a
political statement!) is a diminutive form of the word /Kuut/, which is
the name of the center town of the province /WaasiT/ between Basrah and
Baghdad in Iraq. The word /Kuut/ itself originally came from /Kuuthaa/,
the ancient city of the Nabateans in Iraq, where Prophet Abraham was born.
It is also the name of a neighborhood in Mekka, the neighborhood of Bani
Cabd Addaar.
Best.
Mohammed Jiyad