ARABIC-L: LING: Sudanese Arabic

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Feb 5 00:10:11 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Sudanese Arabic

Date: 04 Feb 1999
From: Robin Thelwall & Rebecca Bradley <eubule at telusplanet.net>
Subject: Sudanese Arabic

With reference to the mention of Sudan Notes & Records (SNR):
from checking my collection, for volumes 31 (1950) through Vol. 62 (1981
- the last I have, I am not sure whether it continued after that), there
are only three articles directly related to linguistic details of
Sudanese Colloquial Arabic. To save people from tracking down the vols.
they are:

G.W. Bell, 1953, `Arabic Slang Used in the Sudan', SNR Vol 34.2, pp.
299-308.
Awn Al-Sharif Gasim, 1965, `Some Aspects of Sudanese Colloquial Arabic',
SNR 46, pp. 40-49.
Tawheeda Osman Hadra, 1978, `The Relative Clause in English and Sudanese
Spoken Arabic: a contrastive analysis', SNR 59, pp. 1-23

I can send copies of these to anyone interested, though I am not
institutionally supported.

References to publications of the Institute of African & Asian Studies
(sic), University of Khartoum (previously the Sudan Research Unit), make
me wonder what specific ones are related to Sudan Arabic. There are
several articles published in volumes of conference proceedings and a
series of monographs on the oral folklore of various Arabic-speaking
groups, but I am not aware of any specifically devoted to the linguistic
aspects of Sudan Arabic varieties.
There is:
S. Reichmuth, 1983, Der arabische Dialekt der Shukriyya im Ostsudan,
Hildesheim/Zuerich/New York: Georg Olms Verlag;
Awn Sharif's own, 1985, Qamuws al-lahja al-`aamiyya fiy al-suwdaan, 2nd
edn. Al-maktab al-maSriy al-Hadith: Cairo
and a teaching course including pedagogical grammar materials by the
Persson's for SIL.
I hope this is of use, and I too would be interested in information on
work published since Reichmuth's study.
Robin Thelwall
Calgary