ARABIC-L: LING: Spanish carrot responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Feb 8 21:23:13 UTC 1999

1) Subject: 'sfinna:rya'
2) Subject: "sfinnaarya"
3) Subject: Two versions: sfinnaariya, sinnaariya
4) Subject: Rosner's references (Maimonides)
5) Subject: "f" > "h"

Date: 08 Feb 1999
From: Hedi Benmustapha <hedi at netway.com>
Subject: 'sfinna:rya'

I think Corominas is right about where the word 'safunarya' came from.
In Tunisian Arabic, we use exactly this same word for carrot, but with   a
slight difference in pronunciation.
 The term used is 'sfinna:rya', pronounced with a stress on the geminated
/n/ and lenghthening of the vowel /a/.
The term could have been brought by the Moors when they came from
Andalousia in the 14th and 15th century, and settled in the northeastern
part of the country.