ARABIC-L: PEDA: CD-Rom Arabic Programs Responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Feb 18 21:18:21 UTC 1999

1) Subject: AramediA
2) Subject: Arabic CDS

Date: 18 Feb 1999
From: GnhBos at aol.com
Subject: AramediA

Hi Eric,

AramediA offers two "Learn Arabic" CD-ROMs for beginners.
Our associate partners are finishing a "Distance Learning"
for the Arabic language, complete with a (native speaker) mentor,
to walk you through the course, via email, [Coming Soon]:

Future's Learn Arabic:

Children and Adults. Learn the Arabic language from English,
French, German or Portuguese. This innovative and complete
program is divided into 5 parts:

1) Introduction to Arabic and the origin of the language.
2) Learn the alphabet in 4 lessons.
3) Words and scenes -- useful words, the numbers and days
    of the week, months of the year and common scenes.
4) Reading practice.
5) Play and learn - Arrange the alphabet, letter vs. letter,
    match pictures with the correct letter, letter vs. picture,
    spelling practices, picture vs. picture, identify the picture
    and trace the letters.

Dictations and pronunciation exercises aid listening and
speaking with enjoyable games to reinforce learning.

Learn Arabic requires for IBM comp. PC: 486+; SVGA
256 color display; CD-ROM drive; Sound Blaster comp.
Sound card; Mouse; Windows 3.1 or 95; 4MB RAM.
Macintosh requires: System 7+; 4MB RAM; 8-bit color;
CD-ROM drive. Price $60.00 Plus shipping $10.50 FedEx.

Sakhr's Learn Arabic:

This program is a course developed for foreigners to learn
Arabic. It teaches the principles of phonetics, writing and
structure of Arabic. Learning Arabic as a Foreign Language,
'Level one' advantages:

Self-based or classroom study. Maximum user control.
Lessons are configured according to the user's preferences.
Learn Arabic from four languages: English, French, Turkish and
Malaysian. Audio and Video of native speakers. More than 85
masterpieces in Arabic calligraphy. Toolbox kit for translation,
diacritizaion, font type. Authentic Middle Eastern music/song.

Components of the Program:

1. Lessons

The program comprises ten lessons where each is divided
into 12 parts. The first six are related to the presentation of
linguistic elements with equal emphasis given to the
four skills: listening, speaking, reading, and writing. The
next four furnish engaging exercises to sharpen the acquired
skills. Finally, the last two provide entertaining games to
re-enforce vocabulary items.

2. Appreciate Arabic:

'Appreciate Arabic' focuses on the history of the Arabic
language and its development. Following are the major
themes introduced:

The origin and spread of the Arabic language. Family tree of
the Arabic script. Stages in the development of the Arabic
language. Arabic calligraphy. The Arab world. Computerization
of the Arabic language.

3. Verses from The Holy Quran:

Verses from the Holy Quran are presented within an educational
framework. This is an optional part that may be of particular
interest to Muslim learners but will provide non Muslims with
a flavor of the Classical language.

4. Typing Tutor:

Using the computer as a medium for learning Arabic, necessitates
familiarity with the Arabic keyboard. Hence, Sakhr has included
its keyboard tutor as a gift to all learners of Arabic.

Price $45.00 plus $10.50 insurance, shipping, and handling (USA).

System Requirements:

Processor (minimum): DX 486. RAM: 10 MB. Free Space: 10 MB.
CD ROM. Sound Card. Display: VGA 256.
English or Arabic Win 3.x, 95.

Ahlan Wa Sahlan, Wassalam Alaykum.

George N. Hallak         Microsoft & Sakhr Arabic Software
AramediA Group            Software Localization Translation
761 Adams Street            617-825-3044 Fax 617-265-9648
Boston, MA 02122 USA      http://www.aramedia.com