ARABIC-L: LIT: More Arabic Proverb books

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Feb 23 21:49:36 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Arabic Proverb books

Date: 23 Feb 1999
From: John Leake <jleake at shikar.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Arabic Proverb books

The best book I know of is "A Dictionary of Current Najdi Proverbs"
published by Librairie de Liban, full of Sa'udi proverbs in Arabic
script, Najdi dialect transcription, English translation and similar
English proverbs, about 2000 if I remember correctly.  Moreover it tries
to mention where similar prooverbs have been published in other
dialects.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the author.  It also includes
a small grammar of the Najdi lahja.  Thoroughly recommended!

"The Son of a Duck is a Floater" is indeed UK published, by Stacey
International.  It contains a couple of dozen proverbs, Egyptian, I
think, accompanied by cartoons.  A follow-up volume is also in print.

I've found the book on the internet under the following name:

  Selection of Current Najdi-Arabic Proverbs
  Dr. Sudaïs
  Hardbound. 1993

  This dictionary contains more than 1,100 proverbs. It is a critical
  and comparative study of the proverbs in the language of
  central Arabia.

John Leake