ARABIC-L: LING: Colloquial Programs in Syria Response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Sat Feb 27 01:01:01 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Colloquial Arabic Programs in Syria

Date: 26 Feb 1999
From: Kirk Belnap <rkb at email.byu.edu>
Subject: Colloquial Arabic Programs in Syria

I would contact:

>The contact person for the Arabic program at the Goethe Institute in
>Damascus is Mr. Zakariya Sweid. His telephone number is 963-11- 333 66 73
>0r 963- 11- 332 78 42, Fax: 963- 11- 332 08 49.

This program comes highly recommended.  Our office has not received a reply
to our fax.  This is one I really want to know more about.  I don't know if
they do colloquial, but I suspect so.  Also, you might try the French
Cultural Center in Amman Jordan.  Some of our students found an excellent
instructor there.  However, the courses were offered only a couple of hours
a week.  I think I can come up with an address, if you're interested.

For other regions, take a look at:

http://humanities.byu.edu/aata/aata_homepage.html

You'll want to look at both the Colloquial and the Summer/Intensive
programs. Unfortunately, the "Colloquial Programs" section has not been
updated for at least a year (some programs may not be functioning this
year)--but it will give you some leads.