ARABIC-L: LING: Maimonides discussion

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jan 14 18:24:40 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Another Maimonides query

Date: 14 Jan 1999
From: djust at netvision.net.il
Subject: Another Maimonides query

> The solution is easier and involves no implications about thermophysics!
I'm afraid that I don't understand how the physics is different.
Doesn't your translation mean that the food was cooled either by
the second vessel, or by the act of transferring from one vessel
to another, with the implication that if the food is somehow still hot
enough putting the seasonings in will be forbidden?
Was the original translation incorrect, or only less likely?  The
only obvious way I can see to distinguish, unless the first attempt
is very unnatural, is that there heat is Haraar, m., while in your
translation the original noun is Haraarah, f.  Does Haraar, m.,
even exist?
Thanks again.
D.