ARABIC-L: LING: afro-asiatic linguistics response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jan 28 18:28:54 UTC 1999

1) Subject: afro-asiatic linguistics response

Date: 28 Jan 1999
From: Petr.Zemanek at ff.cuni.cz
Subject: afro-asiatic linguistics response

Funny enough, at least to my knowledge, there are not that many titles as
one might think. Here are some overviews:

Afroasiatic; a survey., Edited by Carleton T. Hodge.
The Hague, Mouton, 1971. 130 p. 26 cm. fl25.00
Series title: Janua linguarum : Series practica ; 163

A basic survey, outdated nowadays, but gives the general
overview. Another copy of this can be found also in
Current Trends in Linguistics (ed. by T.A.Sebeok), Vol. 6,
Linguistics in South West Asia and North Africa. Mouton,
Hague - Paris 1970.

Afrasian languages /, I.M. Diakonoff ; [translated
from the Russian by A.A. Korolev and V.Ya. Porkhomovsky].
Nauch. izd. Moscow : Nauka, Central Dept. of Oriental
Literature, 1988. 141, [3] p. ; 22 cm.
Series title: Languages of Asia and Africa,
Languages of Asia and Africa (Institut vostokovedeniia
(Akademiia nauk SSSR))

A very good, but does not give much about individual
language families.

Semito-Hamitic languages; an essay in classification,
[by] I. M. Diakonoff. Moscow, Nauka, Central Dept. of
Oriental Literature, 1965. 121, [3] p. fold. map. 22 cm.
Series title: Languages of Asia and Africa

The predecessor of the above title.

If German is also acceptable, then you should choose
the respective passages in Die Sprachen Afrikas (ed. by
B. Heine, T.C. Schadeberg and E. Wolff), Buske, Hamburg 1981.
This title gives a very good overview, and it's meant as
a teaching book, so possibly the best solution...

There is also a title in Czech (Karel Petracek: Uvod do
hamitosemitske (afroasijske) jazykovedy (Introduction
to Hamito-Semitic [Afro-Asiatic] linguistics), Praha 1990,
but I don't think that's really an option...

Hope this helps.

Petr Zemanek