ARABIC-L: GEN: History of Islam in China

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Mar 1 19:34:55 UTC 1999

1) Subject: History of Islam in China

Date: 01 Mar 1999
From: Jackie Armijo-Hussein <jma40 at cornell.edu>
Subject: History of Islam in China

Dear Colleagues in Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies:
Although I have been working on the early history of Islam in China for
many years, I have recently begun a research project on the influence of
international Islamic universities on Chinese Muslim students who study
abroad.  I have planned a series of trips to centers of Islamic learning
around the world to interview Chinese Muslim students about their
experiences at these schools.  I am especially interested in the potential
impact of their educational experiences on their communities upon their
return to China.  My first trip will be to Syria and Egypt, and I am
writing now in the hopes of finding other scholars who have studied the
role of international Islamic education on Muslim students coming from
communities quite distant from the Islamic heartland, and scholars familiar
with al-Azhar and the Islamic universities in Damascus who may be able to
assist me.  I have spent the last 5 years living in China and carrying out
research among Muslim communities there.  And although I have studied both
Qur'anic and Modern Standard Arabic for many years, they are both so rusty
now, I plan to use Chinese alone for the interviews.

Jackie Armijo-Hussein
jma40 at cornell.edu

Jacqueline M. Armijo-Hussein, Ph.D.
Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow