ARABIC-L:LING:"Zelemy" Responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Mar 5 00:15:30 UTC 1999

1) Subject: metathesis
2) Subject: metathesis
3) Subject: stranger, friend

Date: 04 Mar 1999
From: DWILMSEN at aucegypt.edu
Subject: metathesis

this looks interesting.
it appears that this might be derived from /zamiil/ "colleague", the word
then having undergone metathesis (whereby two consonants are reversed -
consider /comfortable/, which can become /comfterble/ in spoken English.

you can see the same thing with /zoog/ "spouse" "husband", which usually
appears as /gooz/ in speech (of sourse in jordan it would be /jooz/).
a curious thing about this last is the feminine form retains its original
order of consonants:  /zooga/.

david wilmsen
director, arabic and translation studies
american university in cairo