ARABIC-L: PEDA: Libyan Arabic Response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Mar 5 20:14:04 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Libyan Arabic

Date: 05 Mar 1999
From: Mutarjm at aol.com
Subject: Libyan Arabic

Greetings.

Re the query about materials on Libyan Arabic (LYAR)

Four possible sources:

o   UCLA Library

(David Hirsch, the UCLA ME Bibliographer, should be able to assist you.

His e-mail: < dhirsch at library.ucla.edu >.

He is very competent and conscientious at finding materials, one of the skills
typical of his impressive librarianship.)

o   Georgetown University Library.

Some old materials on LYAR developed (U of MI?) in the 1960s for the Peace
Corps (might be USAID) are in the holdings transferred from the library of the
Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) when it moved. I saw those items
(mimeographed texts on yellowing paper and reel-to-reel tapes) during a
research visit to Georgetown in 1993. Usede for training PCV / USAID field
staff on social amenities, building rapport, and technical training. Text was
English and transliterated Arabic only.

o   Prof. Alan S. Kaye at California State University Fullerton (CSUF),
Department of English and Linguistics)

He has conducted and published research on Sudanese, Lybian and Chadian
Arabic, and might have materials or could refer you elsewhere.

o   The Libyan ethnic community accessible here in the Los Angeles area.

Let me know if you have specific questions, and I can contact some of the
shebaab there. They include a number of former engineers, teachers,
businessmen, medical clinic workers, and other articulate bilinguals.

Hope this helps.

Regards from Los Angeles,

Stephen H. Franke

E-mail: < mutarjm at aol.com >