ARABIC-L: LING: Geographical Names Response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Mar 10 21:47:45 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Geographical Names Response

Date: 10 Mar 1999
From: "Chouairi, R. MR           DFL" <GR6548 at exmail.usma.army.mil>
Subject: Geographical Names Response

Dear Mr. Hoberman

	Many are the Levantine names of that nature Kisirwani (from
Kisirwan), Shami (from Sham), Bayrouti (from Beirut), Ladhkani (from
Latakia), Halabi (from Aleppo) etc..

> My own family name does not refer to my original name, but is an adjective
> to where the family came from.  That means the family came from the town
> of Chouair, or Dhour-El-Chouair (in  Lebanon).  All the families that came
> from that town were referred to by that name. (Korban, Mouja`es, Merhej,
> Rahbani, Kiameh, Sawaya etc..)

In Levantine Dialect, many are the ways of expressing the same adjective of
Nassab especially in plural.  For example people coming from Zahle could be
referred as: zihlAwiyyeh or zahAlneh, from Beirut:  beirUtiyeh or ByArteh,
from the Damascus:  shwAm.

	I hope I have helped.

				Rajaa Chouairi
				   Abu Fouad