ARABIC-L: LING: Geographical Names Discussion

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Mar 15 18:00:36 UTC 1999

1) Subject: "geographical names" = nisba
2) Subject:  daar 0l- at luum

Date: 15 Mar 1999
From: MOHAMMED M JIYAD <mmjiyad at unix.amherst.edu>
Subject: "geographical names" = nisba

MarHaban,

What has been referred to as "geographical names" is really a form of
nisba. As you well know, it is a common practice among Arabs that one
usually goes by the name of the tribe/clan one belongs to. Prophet
Mohammed was Qarashi/Quraishi because he belonged to Bani Quraish or just
Quraish. And so we have nisba from every Arabian tribe/clan such as 'Awsi,
Khazraji, Kalbi, Thubyaani,  Mudhari, RabiCi, 'Asadi, Cabsi, Hilaali,
Numairi, KaCbi, Shammari, etc.... Late King Hussein was Haashimi because
he belonged to Bani Haashim.

However, when the tribal origin was not clear, or when a certain tribe was
subjected to persecution by whoever in power, people tended to drop their
Kuniya and take instead the name of the town/city or area. Therefore, we
have Al-Baghdaadi, Al-BaSri, Al-Kuufi, Al-DimashQi, Al-Najdi, etc .....
Notable Muslim authors of great works in Arabic language, linguistic, and
literature, who were of non-Arab origin,  used this form of nisba.
Examples are Al-Faraahidi, Al-Zamakhshari, Al-'ASfahaani, Al-Qaali,
Al-Shahrastani, etc....  Under this category falls another tendency that a
family will take the name of its country of origin when it moves somewhere
else, and so we have Al-MaSri, Al-Maghribi, Al-'Andalusi, Al-Yamani, etc

The third form of nisba is based on profession/trade, and thus we have
Al-Haddaad, Al-Najjaar, Al-Sabbaagh, Al-QaTTaan, Al-Hallaaj, etc ..... In
Iraq under Turkish influence, some new forms of nisba in this category
began to emerge. It ends with the syllable /chi/, and thus we have
Qahwachi for the owner of a cafe, and Qundarch for a shoemaker, Qubbanchi,
Pachachi, QachaQchi, Calawchi, Klaawchi, etc.......

In the early 70's the Iraqi government legislated that for last name one
should only use the name of his/her grandfather. Therefore, my name in all
official documents, including birth certificate and passport, was changed
to Mohammed Jiyad instead of Mohammed Al-'AzraQi, nisba to the Kharijite
tribe, Bani 'AzraQ. The reason for that law was that almost everyone in
higher positions in the Iraqi government, army, police and BaCth Party was
Takriiti, nisba to Takriit, the hometown of you know who!

Best.
Mohammed Jiyad