ARABIC-L: LING: daar 0l- at luum Responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Mar 16 20:55:21 UTC 1999

1) Subject: "Nisbah" Coinage in Arabic Grammar
2) Subject: more common -- D at r9ami

From: DWILMSEN at aucegypt.edu

Date: 16 Mar 1999
From: Muhammad Deeb <mdeeb at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: "Nisbah" Coinage in Arabic Grammar

*** There are a few oversights in the above post, most likely stemming from
the haste associated with the electronic medium rather than unfamiliarity
with the concept of "naHt" in the formation of certain relative adjectives.
Here is a brief explanation:

(a) Reference is made to "Daar 'l- at uluum" (= literally, the home of
sciences).

(b) The relative adjective ("nisbah") is "dar at amiyy;" plu.: "daraa at imah."
Classical examples often cited for illustration are "HaDramiyy" &
"@Abshamiyy" (rel. adjs. coined from "HaDramawt" & "@Abdushams, with regular
plurals: "HaDaarimah" & @Abaashimah.")  Similarly, the "nisbah" to
"Kulliyatu 'l-Lughati 'l- at Arabiyyah" of Al-Azhar (= College of the Arabic
language") is "kalghariyy," plu.: "kalaaghirah."  Although the rel. adj.
"kalghariyy" might have started as a facetious reference to affiliates of
this college, it follows the grammatical and morphological rules of coinage
(= "naHt") in Arabic.

    I'm tempted here to distinguish the concept of coinage in Arabic as
instanced above, and coinage in English, which stands for a neologism or
a newly-created lexeme.  But that will have to wait until another occasion.

								    M. Deeb

PS:

Established in 1870 by @Ali Mubaarak (1823/4 - 1893), "Daar 'l- at uluum" was
initially intended to offer subjects other than the traditional ones taught
at Al-Azhar.  Arguably, "Daar 'l- at Uluum" is now viewed as a happy mean
between the "secular" and "religious" approaches to the study of Arabic
language and literature in Cairo University, for instance, and Al-Azhar
respectively.