ARABIC-L: LING: Classification of Languages--Thanks

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Mar 23 17:51:35 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Classification of Languages--Thanks

Date: 23 Mar 1999
From: Gunvor Mejdell <Gunvor.Mejdell at easteur-orient.uio.no>
Subject: Classification of Languages--Thanks

Dear collegues
thanks to all of you who responded either directly to me or to the list,
you have been most helpful. The information I received has been
incorporated, as supportive  evidence`, into our note to the University
administration - and the matter (ressources and levels for Oriental
languages) will be decided next Fall

as you may have gathered from the answers on this list, the Defence
Language Institute is the source of the classification most commonly
referred to. Roger Allen also reminded me of his article

"Teaching Arabic in the United States: Past, Present, and Future," in THE
ARABIC LANGUAGE IN AMERICA ed. Aleya Rouchdy, Detroit: Wayne State
University, 1992, pp. 222-50.

which comments on  this classification with  a "handle with care" approach.

The number of semesters recommended before entering post-graduate
programmes (for the languages taught at our Department) are:

Russian and other Slavonic languages: 4 (a higher degree of proficiency is
expected in these languages than in the following)
Persian, Hebrew, Finnish and Turkish: 4
Arabic, Sanskrit, Urdu/Hindi 5
Japanese, Chinese (and Korean from next year) 6

best wishes
Gunvor Mejdell

(plese note change of address : @east.uio.no  . I shall  inform  the
list-server.)

1. aman. Gunvor Mejdell
Institutt for |steuropeiske og orientalske studier
POB 1030, Blindern
0315 Oslo
tel. + 47 22 85 47 76    FAX +47 22 85 41 40