ARABIC-L: GEN: Eqbal Ahmed

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu May 13 15:04:32 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Eqbal Ahmed

Date: 13 May 1999
From: Muhammad Deeb <mdeeb at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Eqbal Ahmed

	Eqbal Ahmed, a Pakistani citizen, was for his entire life in the
West a committed militant and distinguished analyst of Third World and
Palestinian struggle.  Eqbal Ahmed, Noam Chomsky and Edward Said have been a
trinity whose opinion is sought and appreciated on world burning issues.

	Ahmed as a person was to his friends and students a guiding light;
his presence in the academic and media domains was a stabilizing force.  He
will leave behind a special vacuum difficult to fill.

	His passing away is a grave loss, and we will miss him profoundly.
May God bless his soul with mercy and grant his family and friends solace
and fortitude.

								M. Deeb

-------------------------------------
Department of Comparative Literature,
University of Alberta,
Edmonton, Alberta,
Canada T6G 2E6

> Dear Friends,
> I regret to inform you that our dear colleague, Eqbal Ahmed has died.
> He underwent surgery for colon cancer, and during surgery he suffered
> a heart attack. He died in his country of Pakistan. A voice for humanity
> has left us.

Forwarded by:
Joseph Massad
Assistant Editor