Arabic-L:LING:/k/, /q/, /'/

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Nov 3 17:13:40 UTC 1999

1) Subject: /k/, /q/, /'/

Date: 03 Nov 1999
From: Louis Boumans <louis.boumans at gironet.nl>
Subject: /k/, /q/, /'/

[moderator's note: this message, like many others recently, came all coded
with HTML.  I tried to write a program to strip the code, and don't know to
what extent the program may have harmed the content of the message.  Sorry
if it did.]

Thank you to Jackie Murgida and Mohammad Deeb for
their reply to my query on 'glottal stop jokes'.
They reminded me of the fact that there are also
jokes about the realisation of /q/ as /?/ and vice versa, something I hadn't
thought of yet.
What is remarkable about some Moroccan jokes is
that they concern the glottal stop realisation of voiceless VELAR /k/ rather
than of uvular / q /.
The realisation of /q/ as /?/ is quite a common
feature of 'urban' dialects in Morocco as elsewhere. The realisation of / k
/ as a glottal stop is extremely rare, however.
It is highly unlikely that those who tell or listen to the jokes have ever
actually met someone with this dialect feature.
Can anyone point me to Arabic dialects with glottal
stop for / k / ??
(By the way, the feature /k/ -> [?] does occur in
some very rare and stigmatied Dutch dialects..)
Best wishes, Louis
Boumans