Arabic-L:PEDA:texbook guidance responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Nov 9 18:40:30 UTC 1999

1) Subject: texbook guidance response
2) Subject: texbook guidance response

Date: 09 Nov 1999
From: Mutarjm at aol.com
Subject: texbook guidance response

Greetings / tahaiya tayyiba wa b3ad...

Hiyaakum Allah jamii3aan...

Re the series < Al-Arabiyya li-an-Naashi'iin (Arabic for youngsters) >.

If I may add to Ustadh Hammoud's gracious comments about this series.

Dr. Mahmoud Ismail Al-Seiny (hafadhuh Allah) is still at King Saud University
(somewhere in the upper levels of the KSU deanship - 3maadat).

So, you might visit KSU's web site through the link at the web site for the
Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) in Riyadh at URL < http://www.mohe.gov.sa
> That site has a button for English version.

Once at KSU's web site, you might either

o  search for Dr. Al-Sieny's e-mail address (if available; maybe ask the
helpful KSU web master to relay a message to Dr. S.)

or

o  go to the page for Colleges => College of Languages and Translation (CLT)

and/or

o  go to the KSU bookstore (you may have to ask the KSU webmaster or someone
in CLT to relay your request and advise)

=====

An alternative web site for information about whether that series is still
available is the site for the Ministry of Education (MOE) also in Riyadh.

The MOE's URL is < http://www.moe.gov.sa > (Arabic version only appears, so
you'll need an Arabic-supported OS, such as Arabic MS Windows 9X/2000)

BTW, thoze interested in practicing their reading of Arabic might visit a
useful and bilingually-switchable A <-> E <-> A web site for the Saudi
Arabian online periodical "Ain Al-Yaqeen" at URL <
http://www.ain_al-yaqeen.com >. The issues seem to change weekly
(more-or-less).

Another good source for reading practice and building vocabulary is the web
site for the BBC Arabic service. That home page updated daily.

Hope this helps.

Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards from Los Angeles,

Stephen H. Franke