Arabic-L:GEN:List matters

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Nov 12 18:37:04 UTC 1999

1) Subject: List matters

Date: 12 Nov 1999
From: moderator
Subject: List matters

Several people wrote in somewhat upset that I released their e-mail
addresses to other subscribers when Arabic-L was out of commission for
awhile.  I apologize for upsetting those people. However, you should be
aware that in fact your name is available to any subscriber who knows the
listserv commands (they are pretty standard across listservs).  Actually,
just about anyone can drum up a list of subscribers.  If you do NOT want
your name on the list of subscribers that people can get in this way, you
can send the following command to listserv at listserv.byu.edu

set arabic-l conceal yes

Note that this message must be sent from the address to which you are
subscribed.

Since the cat is already out of the bag and some of you want to know, the
way to see the subscriber list is to send a message to
listserv at listserv.byu.edu with the line

rev arabic-l subscribers

By the way, if you want to get only one Arabic-L message a day (if there
are any) with all the messages for the day concatenated in it, send a
message to listserv at listserv.byu.edu with the line:

set arabic-l mail digest

To turn off the digest and get the messages individually again, send to the
same address the line:

set arabic-l mail

with no other settings.

Two other matters:

1-Many of you change e-mail addresses or servers (usually through no fault
of your own) and continue to get Arabic-L because the new server forwards
it from the old address to the new address.  However, when you try to post
a message, the server rejects it and says you are not a member.  The only
solution is to try to remember your old address and what your new address
will be and send them to ME (not the list) at

dil at byu.edu

telling me to unsubscribe the old address and subscribe the new one.

If you hardly ever send messages and just want to get one through
immediately, send it to me instead of the list at

dil at byu.edu

but be sure to mention at the top of the message why you are sending it to
me, and that you want it posted on the list.  Sometimes I can't tell if
messages addressed to me are intended for the list or not.

2. I'm still getting a lot of HTML coded messages.  Please check your
options when you send messgaes from internet browsers that they are plain
text and not HTML encoded.  They are very difficult to deal with.