Arabic-L:LING:qaaf jokes

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Oct 29 18:30:08 UTC 1999

1) Subject: qaaf jokes
2) Subject: qaaf jokes

Date: 29 Oct 1999
From: Muhammad Deeb <mdeeb at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: qaaf jokes

> There's an Egyptian joke involving glottal stop/qaaf:
>
> A goat leaves the village, goes to Cairo, and studies at Al-Azhar.
> He goes back home, and the other goats asked him what he learned.
> He says, "Maaq!"
>
> Jackie Murgida <jmurg at star.net>
> -----------------------------------

***
	Murgida's goat is not only cultivated in the traditional sciences
	of al-Azhar, but also "well-grazed" in the field of literary
	theory.  I heard this joke in my childhood, and did
	not make much of it beyond the "qaaf-hamza"
	dialectics.

	Now, I'm persuaded to see the variations of this goat as direct
	echoes of "intertextuality" and "anxiety-influence."  Here is
	the narrative:

		To the repeated knocks at the gate of heavens,
		an angel screamed: "Who is there?"  "It is I,"
		came a self-confident answer. The testy angel
		groaned: "Heavens!  Another don from Oxford!"
								-------
								M. Deeb