Arabic-L:LIT:Translation of terms query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Apr 5 18:49:46 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Translation of terms query

Date: 05 Apr 2000
From: Ali Hussin <ahussin at study.haifa.ac.il>
Subject: Translation of terms query

Dear all,

Could any one tell me what is the exact translation of the following three
terms into English?
Those terms are:

- Gharad/Aghrad (al-garad al-shi'ri in classical Arabic poetry. For
example: the Nasib or the Madih)

- Fikra/Afkar (al-fikra al-shi'riyya in classical Arabic poetry. For
example: the Nasib contains a lot of Afkar, as: the mouth of the
beloved girl is sweeter than the honey, or it is more delicious than the
wine etc...)

 - Ma'na/Ma'ani (al-ma'na al-shi'ri in classical Arabic poetry. For
example: the Fikra that the mouth of the beloved girl is more delicious
than the wine contains Ma'ani as: this wine was made in a place called
Adhru'at or in Andar, this wine is very expensive, the wine's color is
red, this wine is mixed with water, the mouth of the beloved girl is more
delicious than this wine just at the night, etc... )

I would be also very thankful if any one is ready to send me
further information about sources (books or articles in English, Hebrew,
Arabic or German) that deal with this matter.

Yours,
Ali Hussein
Dept. of Arabic Language & Lit.
University of Haifa