Arabic-L:PEDA:Cookbook Response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Apr 12 18:37:06 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Cookbook Response

Date: 12 Apr 2000
From: "Chouairi, R. MR           DFL" <GR6548 at exmail.usma.army.mil>
Subject: Cookbook Response

Dear Sir
Although I do not know of the existence of an Arabic-English cookbook, there
is a great and an accurate translation of chef Georges Rayess classical
cookbook: al-maTbakh al-lubnAAny, under: "the Art of Lebanese Cooking" by
Najla Showker- Librairie du Liban ( mother of Selwa "Lucky" Roosevelt,
ex-chief of protocol of the Reagan White house).  You could get both books
from Librairie Antoine in Beirut and compare them.  The translation is to
the word.  The late Georges Rayess ( ex-chef at the Bristol and at Byblos
during the grands jours of Beirut) is regarded as the Arab Escoffier and was
the founder of the Lebanese famed al-madrassah al-funduquiah which redefined
much of the Arab cooking as we know it today.  His book is still by far the
best cookbook (and the oldest) covering middle-eastern and classical French
cooking.  Only the middle-eastern section is translated.  I hope this will
help your student.
Rajaa Chouairi
West Point