Arabic-L:LING:Writing in Arabic Query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Apr 13 23:15:56 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Writing in Arabic Query: studies, practical reference works...

Date: 13 Apr 2000
From: Kirk Belnap <rkb at email.byu.edu>
Subject: Writing in Arabic Query: studies, practical reference works...

Some of you will recall my exploratory queries about Arab linguistic
avoidance behavior.  One aspect of this research that fascinates me is the
fact that there appear to be emerging "standards" or norms of usage,
practices or preferences I suspect are not likely to be taught in school.
I would like to know if you are aware of studies addressing this sort of
thing.  Also, I would be interested to know if practical "how-to" manuals
are commercially available in bookstores in the Arab world.  I'd also be
interested in getting in touch with individuals (editors, for example) you
might recommend as having their finger on the pulse of the evolution of
written Arabic.  Email addresses would be much appreciated.

wa-shukran,

Kirk