Arabic-L:PEDA:Proficiency Test Responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Apr 20 22:50:08 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Proficiency Test Response
2) Subject: Proficiency Test Response
3) Subject: Proficiency Test Response

Date: 20 Apr 2000
From: Mutarjm at aol.com
Subject: Proficiency Test Response

Greetings / tahaiya tayyiba wa b3ad...

Depending on which skills (and dialects, in some cases) in the Arabic
language are needed for evaluation and rating, the two proficiency tests that
are most familiar to me are:

o  Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) - tape/Q&A reponse and reading.
Test proficiencies in MSA only

o  Oral proficiency interview (OPI) - an interview administered either
face-to-face (usually by a panel) or via telephone.  An OPI's contents can
cover MSA and/or a regional dialect (if qualified interviewers are available
in the dialect).

Those types of tests are used by the

o  Defense Language Institute, Foreign Language Center (DLIFLC) at the
Presidio of Monterey, CA

and

o  U.S. Department of State

Results are used to assess / rate / record / report / manage the proficiency
of their language students and personnel in "language-designated" positions.

There are some variants useful for the testing of
second-generation/"heritage" speakers of foreign languages to insure coverage
of their vocabularies and communication skills.

Hope this helps.

Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards from Los Angeles,

Stephen H. Franke