Arabic-L:LING:Rhyming Dictionary responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Aug 4 23:19:13 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Rhyming Dictionary response
2) Subject: Rhyming Dictionary response
3) Subject: Rhyming Dictionary response

Date: 04 Aug 2000
From: Muhammad Deeb <mdeeb at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Rhyming Dictionary response

	Unless there has been recently an attempt to compile a rhyming
dictionary, to the best of my knowledge, there are no such classical
dictionaries.  Some Arab lexicographers, however, arranged their mammoth
dictionaries with the idea of "rhyme" on their minds, and with a view to
helping rhymesters.  This is precisely what al-Fayruuzaabaadhii and
Ibn-ManZuur did in *al-Qaamuus al-MuHiiT* & *Lisaan al- at Arab."  Entries
are arranged in accordance with their rhymes, thus, "rasama" (to draw /
paint) and "basama" (to smile) are looked up under letter "miim."  The
first letter, "r", in (r-s-m) is called "faSl" (section), the last, "m" is
called "baab" (chapter).

	Satisfactory as this might have sounded to the two lexicographers
and Arabic sensibility at the time, this system is rather cumbersome, and
indeed sadistic, esp. with roots of controversial vowel endings.  That is
probably why *Lisaan al- at Arab* has been re-arranged and re-issued in our
more accessible alphabetical order.
					M. Deeb