Arabic-L:LING:Short Vowel responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Aug 17 16:13:12 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Short Vowel response
2) Subject: Short Vowel response
Date: 17 Aug 2000
From: Roger Allen <rallen at ccat.sas.upenn.edu>
Subject: Short Vowel Query

Kirk:
  Muhammad Ma`muri (Maamouri) of Penn's International Literacy Center
(former head of the Bourghiba Institute in Tnis) has certainly lectured to
us here on the impact of the printing/non-printing of vowels on literacy in
the Arab world.
   As I recollect, he was advocating the use of computer printing as a
means of producing a larger Arabic character set (with vowels) that would
have a major impact on literacy.  In any case you can write to him at:
maamouri at literacy.upenn.edu

al the best as always and hoping to encounter
you in Orlando!

ROGER