Arabic-L:LING:Tunisian Arabic judgements query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Feb 1 21:33:23 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Tunisian Arabic judgements query

Date: 01 Feb 2000
From: "Frederick M. Hoyt" <fmh2 at cornell.edu>
Subject: Tunisian Arabic judgements query

Dear List Members,

I am wondering if there are any native speakers of Tunisian Arabic on this
list who might be willing to provide some native speaker judgements.

I am a graduate student in linguistics at Cornell University, in the
process of completing my MA in the syntax and semantics of existential
constructions in colloquial Arabic. My main topic concerns Palestinian
Arabic, but Palestinian and Tunisian seem to have certain, very interesting
differences in the interpretation of the existential construction.
Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any people from Tunisia here at
Cornell.

What I have in mind is to present you (by e-mail) with several pairs of
sample sentences along with an explanation of the topic, and ask you
whether you certain examples acceptable in Tunisian, and how you might
interpret them.

Thank you very much, and best wishes to all,

Fred Hoyt
Cornell Department of Linguistics