Arabic-L:LING:akbar etymology query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jan 19 16:09:55 UTC 2000

1) Subject: akbar etymology query

Date: 19 Jan 2000
From: Quennel Gale <queball23 at yahoo.com>
Subject: akbar etymology query

Hi, I was doing a critical study on the word akbar in
Arabic. I recently found out that this word isn't
originally Arabic and that it can be traced back
through the Hebrew language all the way back to the
akkadian language or Chaldean language. I know that in
linguistics words from Similar languages, like both
Hebrew and Arabic can be found in each other, since
Hebrew is older I beleive this word traveled through
this language before finding it's way in Arabic. Also
do you know of any inscriptions that have akbar on it
before Islamic times? Please verify this for me
a.s.a.p. it's very important.