Arabic-L:LING:Etymology queries

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Jan 25 23:14:56 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Etymology queries

Date: 25 Jan 2000
From: Jim Rader <jrader at m-w.com>
Subject: Etymology queries

Members of this list have been helpful to me (a complete non-Arabist)
in the past and I hope you can help again.

Egyptian Arabic (exclusively or mainly?) <ba:baghanu:j>, in reference
to a spread made from eggplant, tahini, garlic, oil, and lemon:  Does
anyone have a solid etymology of this compound?  I have heard it
literally translated as a verbal noun "indulging daddy," but this
looks like "etymologie populaire."  Has anyone ever published an
etymology of it?  Is its origin simply lost in folkloric
explanations?

Yemeni Arabic <buqsha>, a coin and monetary unit of Yemen in most of
this century and very likely earlier:  What is the ulterior etymology
of this word?  Possibly from a South Arabian language/dialect?

Any assistance with these words will be gratefully acknowledged.

Jim Rader
Etymology Editor
Merriam-Webster, Inc.