Arabic-L:LING:More Lexical Resource Responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Jan 28 18:21:10 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Lexical Resource Response
2) Subject: Lexical Resource Response (Ad)

Date: 28 Jan 2000
From: Jan Hoogland <j.hoogland at let.kun.nl>

>If I understood correctly, you want to be able to search for words according
>to their pattern morphermes? This would be a useful feature, but nobody
>seems to be including that information in online dictionaries (see the Sakhr
>website for state-of-the-art online web-based dictionaries:
>http://lexicons.sakhr.com/).

In the Sakhr product Al Qamoos (I use the CD, so I can't speak for the web
based version), one can search for patterns:
For example searching for aFaaCiil pattern: 5 words only (seems a bit to
little?):
aHaafiir
anaabiib
asaariir
afaawiih
araajiif
pattern: aFCilA: 16 words etc.

So if this is what John is looking for, Al Qamoos might be his salvation.

Jan (Abu Samir)