Arabic-L:LING:Indonesian MA Thesis Abstract Request

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Jul 11 21:38:39 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Indonesian MA Thesis Abstract Request

Date: 11 Jul 2000
From: Saifullah Kamalie <saif at centrin.net.id>
Subject: Indonesian MA Thesis Abstract Request

[moderator's note: This message contains characters that are not readable
on my machine.  I don't know what they are going to look like on yours.]

Dear colleage,

I have just finished writing magister thesis in Indonesian language and I
have to write an abstract in English. I have tried to write it as good as
possible, but it will be better if one of English native speaker read it
here, in this forum, hopely give me some corrections. The abstract of the
thesis is:

ABSTRACT

An attempt is made to describe the equivalence of Arabic prepositions `ala
and li in Indonesian . This attempt is based on (1) the meanings of those
prepositions in source language as contextual factors that influence the
equivalency and (2) language elements around those prepositions as
co-textual factors that also influence the equivalency.

The data was taken from Al-Qur&rsqu;0an dan Terjemahnya, that is the
translation of al-Qur&rsqu;0an done by Departemen Agama (Religious Affair
of Republic of Indonesia) printed in Medina, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. From
the data, I found 4208 corpuses that consist of 1445 prepositions of `ala
and 2761 prepositions of li with their equivalence. From nine meanings of
preposition `ala, I found only six of them, those are: (1) al-Isti`l±', (2)
equivalent to f³, (3) al-Ta`l³l, (4) equivalent to ma`a, (5) equivalent to
min and (6) equivalent to bi., and from thirty meaning of preposition li, I
found only twenty of them, those are: (1) al-Milk, (2) al-Taml³k, (3) Syibh
al-Milk, (4) Syibh al-Taml³k, (5) al-Ta`l³l, (6) al-Taby³n, (7)
al-Ta`diyah, (8) al-¢ayr­rah, (9) al-Tabl³g, (10) equivalent to il±, (11)
equivalent to f³, (12) equivalent to `an, (13) equivalent to Prep `al±,
(14) equivalent to `inda, (15) equivalent to ba`da, (16) equivalent to min,
(17) kay, (18) al-Ju¥­d, (19) al-Taqwiyah, and (20) equivalent to bi..

The equivalence of `ala and li are mostly at the same category, that is
preposition. 62% of 1445 occurances of `ala and 60% of 2763 occurances of
li are prepositions. >From this formal correspondence, I found transference
not only in phrase level, but also in clause or sentence level. That is
caused by literal translation. From those findings, I can conclude that the
influence of Arabic language to its equivalence in translating the
preposition `ala and li is very strong.

If we criticize the Al-Qur&rsqu;ian dan Terjemahnya based on what Nida and
Taber (1984:12) said that &ldqu;ithe best translation does not sound like
translation&rdqu;i, so the Al-Qur&rsqu;ian dan Terjemahnya is still far
from that criteria. Therefore, we have to reconsider the principle that
&ldqu;ithe translation of al-Qur&rsqu;ian must not follow the theory and
technique of Indonesian linguists&rdqu;i as mentioned by one of Al
Qur&rsqu;ian translator team, because the target of that translation is
Indonesia society.

Nida and Taber (1974:173) said there is no better compliment for a
translator than to have someone say &ldqu;iI never knew before that God
spoke my language&rdqu;i. If the principle and taste of Indonesian are also
considered in translating al-Qur&rsqu;ian, Indonesian Moslem will say
&ldqu;iI never knew before that Allah spoke Indonesian&rdqu;i.

Thank you for your assistance.

Saifullah Kamalie