Arabic-L:Palestinian Dialects Query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Mar 9 20:46:35 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Palestinian Dialects Query

Date: 09 Mar 2000
From: "Frederick M. Hoyt" <fmh2 at cornell.edu>
Subject: Palestinian Dialects Query

Recently, I posted a message to this list requesting assistance from native
speakers of Tunisian Arabic. I received a number of very helpful replies,
for which I am very grateful, and for which I would again like to thank the
contributors.

Now, in addition, I would like to make a similar request to native speakers
of Palestinian Arabic.

I would be particularly interested in hearing from native speakers of the
dialect(s) spoken in rural areas of the northern West Bank (from Bir
Zeit/Ramallah to Jenin). However, I would certainly be grateful for
assistance from any speaker of a Palestinian dialect who would care to
reply.

The dialects I am referring to (Rural Palestinian Arabic; c.f. Younes 1993,
1994, Herzallah 1990) are distinguished by, among other things, features
such as the use of "baka" or "baaki" as a verb "to-be" instead of "kaan,"
the palatalized 'kaaf', active use of the feminine plural agreement marker,
and in some areas (e.g. Bir Zeit) fronting of vowels in various contexts,
such as pronoun clitics (so, for example '-çim' instead of '-kum' or '-he'
instead of '-hu.'

The questions I have involve the interpretation of agreement marking in
existential constructions, given a simple conversational background.

Thank you and best wishes,

Fred Hoyt
Cornell University
fmh2 at cornell.edu