Arabic-L:PEDA:Gulf Materials Responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Mar 14 01:07:08 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Gulf Materials Reponse
2) Subject: Gulf Materials Response

Date: 13 Mar 2000
From: Mutarjm at aol.com
Subject: Gulf Materials Response

Greetings to all / yaa halla biljemaa3.

Today is Thursday, March 9, 2000.

Following are main points from my earlier response to the inquirer.

Re your post on the Arabic_L.

If you could send me some background, I can furnish some reference citations
on descriptive and introductory materials on the Emirati dialect.

A few follow below, with comments.

The Emirati dialect has probably the closest-available related materials
around (minus some ancient and horribly-transliterated items prepared locally
by some of the oil and natural gas companies operating in Qatar since the
1970s).

Here are some items that first come to mind:

o  Hamdi Qafisheh's paperback textbooks (four) on Gulf Arabic (GA), some with
accompanying audiocassete tapes. Available from the University of Arizona
Press (Mixed reviews by other readers and usefulness, but authentic Emirati
voices are on the tapes.)

o  Hamdi Qafisheh's recent "Dictionary of Gulf Arabic," published by the NTC
Press.

(A piece of work afflicted by an awkward transliteration and other
compilation methods used. Available from amazon.com, but a dubious investment
of money and brain cells, in my opinion as a Gulf Arabic dialectologist.)

His earlier dictionary / lexicon of GA, published in Lebanon, is reportedly
easier, while smaller.

o  Clive Hole's "Spoken Arabic of Saudi Arabia and the Gulf (textbook and
with one audiocassette tape). Available from amazon.com

o  Clive Hole's book "Gulf Arabic."  A sound and descriptive work; written
for a linguist, so of limited usefulness for general self-study.

o  There is a new (due for release in April 200, I think) paperback (two
authors) forthcoming from UK entitled something like "Learn the Arabic of the
Gulf." It's been mentioned recently to me, but I have not seen it. Details
are forthcoming. Apparently similar to the Berlitz series of traveler's
phrasebooks.

o  Bruce Ingham's jewel of a slim paperbook entitled "The Simple Guide to
Customs and Etiquette in Arabia and the Gulf States," contains a number of
suitable politeness exchanges and deference expressions for the most-likely
social and formal occasions.

o  Sir Donald Hawley has several good books out on the "Customs and
Courtesies of the Arabian Gulf," with emphasis on Oman, since he was HM's
ambassador there in the early1970s.

--  While both editions of Hawley's work are now out of print, they are well
worth your finding and borrowing via interlibrary loan. I am away from my
office, so I can't retrieve the ISBNs and publisher data right now.

There also are a few good (albeit pedantic and plodding) works in the Russian
and the German on Gulf Arabic dialects.

If you have any special questions about Qatari, I can ask some Qatari
graduate students at universities where I teach.

Hope this helps you in your search.

Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards from Los Angeles,

Stephen H. Franke