Arabic-L:PEDA:Duke Speech Contest

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Mar 14 20:27:54 UTC 2000

1) Subject:Duke Speech Contest

Date: 14 Mar 2000
From: "Rkia E. Cornell" <rcornell at duke.edu>
Subject: Duke Speech Contest

To Whom It May Concern:

I am pleased to inform you that we will be hosting our Fifth Annual
Arabic  Speech Contest at Duke on Saturday, April 8.  In the past, we
have invited students from the neighboring institutions to apply and join
their friends at Duke in this major event.   This year, however, we are
opening the contest to a wider audience to include students from all
across the country.  Those interested will enter the contest by
submitting their speeches on video.

I will need to have your applications by April 3rd, sent to the Asian and
African Languages and Literature Office, together with your video and the
complete text of your speech in Arabic,  and a summary in English (see
the included application form, address,  and guidelines below).

We look forward to your participation  in this exciting event.

Rkia Cornell
Arabic Speech Contest Coordinator

ARABIC SPEECH CONTEST
Duke University
April 8, 2000

APPLICATION FORM

Name  __________________________________________________________________

Present Address  	______________________________________________________

Email Address	______________________________________________________

Name of the Institution where you are a student
______________________________

Name of your most recent Arabic instructor  	______________________________

	-  his or her phone number
_______________________

Level of competition for which you intend to apply	(I, II or III)
__________________

Title of Speech in Arabic

Title of Speech in English

This completed application form, along with a summary of your speech in
English and the complete text in Arabic, should be  mailed to Prof. Rkia
E. Cornell at the following address:
Arabic Speech Contest
2101 Campus Drive, Box 90414
Durham, NC   27708-0414

Tel: (919) 684-4309
 Fax: (919) 681-7871

The deadline for applications is April 3, 2000 -- no late applications
will be accepted

GUIDELINES FOR ARABIC SPEECH CONTEST
Duke University
April 8, 2000

1)	Subject:	Open to any topic of the student's choosing

2)	Entry levels:

Level I:	Students who have completed or are in the process of
completing one year of                            Arabic instruction, or
its equivalent.

Level II:	Students who have completed or are in the process of
completing two years of                            Arabic instruction, or
its equivalent.

Level III:	Students who have completed or are in the process of
completing three years of                            Arabic instruction,
or its equivalent.

3)	Time limit for speeches:	Level I:	3-5 minutes
					Level II:	5- 7 minutes
					Level III:	7-9 minutes

4)	Judging criteria and point allocation:

		Content and richness of vocabulary
30 points
		Grammar and appropriateness of
expression	            30 points
		Pronunciation and fluidity of expression
20 points
		Delivery
20 points
							Total:
100 points

5) 	Eligibility:	The contest is open to both undergraduate and
graduate students.
Native Arabic speakers (whose first language is Arabic) or people who
have studied more than three years of Arabic are not eligible to compete
in it.  All speeches should be delivered in Modern Standard Arabic.

6) How to enter:  Fill out an application form, and submit it along with
a video of
yourself delivering your speech in Arabic, in addition to the complete
text of your speech in Arabic.  Entries must be submitted to Prof. Rkia
Cornell  by April 3.  From the entries, up to five finalists will be
selected at each level.  The videos of the five finalists will be shown
on Saturday, April 8 and will be judged along with the other contestants
by a panel of judges.  We plan to award the following prizes at each level:

		1st prize:	$100.00
		2nd prize:	$  75.00
		3rd prize:	$  50.00

Those contestants who are not awarded cash prizes will nevertheless
receive a T-shirt for their participation.

Final results will be announced on April 8th, and video participants will
be informed by mail of their results.
Department of Asian and African Languages
Duke University

GdOhQI GdSfhjI Gd`NGeSI
d`eHGQI GdNWGHI

The Fourth Annual
Arabic Speech Contest

will be held on

Saturday, April 8, 2000
2:00 p.m.  - 5:00 p.m.
119 West Duke Parlor
Duke East Campus

Program includes:  Speech contest on 3 levels
Presentation of Prizes  -  Reception and a play by students

Open to the Public

Sponsors include:  The College of Arts and Sciences of
Duke University, the Comparative Islamic Studies Committee,  and NAJD,
THE DUKE Arabic CLUB.