Arabic-L:LING:Arabic Numerals responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Nov 1 18:42:38 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Arabic Numerals response
2) Subject: Arabic Numerals response
3) Subject: Arabic Numerals response
4) Subject: Arabic Numerals response
5) Subject: Arabic Numerals response
6) Subject: Arabic Numerals thanks

Date: 01 Nov 2000
From: "Henry C. Farrell" <charfar at worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Arabic Numerals response

I understand that Smith and Karpinski's "The Hindu-Arabic Numerals",
published in 1911, is still considered authoritative.

They give a table of many different forms of Hindu numerals used in India in
Medieval times in place value reckoning and with a symbol for zero. (p. 49)
Some are very like the American/European versions, some more like the ones
we think of as Arabic.

They also explain the the Arabs have always known that the numerals came
from India and have always called them "Hindi".  (p. 4)  They also state
that both forms of the numerals were is use in the Arab world in Al Mamun's
time (800's). (p. 98)  And that the one form was probably brought to Europe,
perhaps many times, by traders and travelers and used some in commerce
before 900 AD.
And that by 1003, even scholars of Europe had learned about the numerals
because of the introduction of Arabic learning.