Arabic-L:GEN:Farsi in Arabic MS Word response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Nov 7 00:01:11 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Farsi in Arabic MS Word response

Date: 06 Nov 2000
From: Mutarjm at aol.com
Subject: Farsi in Arabic MS Word response

[moderators note: this message was mislaid, and so didn't get posted with
the other responses.  Sorry. Dil]

Greetings.

Today is Friday, October 27th.

I do some occasional into-Farsi work, so here is a solution you might try
that may reduce the travail of UNICODE <-> MS code keystroke clusters.

After some creative and persistent keyboard mapping in Arabic MS Word 97, I
made a MS Word "reference file" of those Farsi characters and numerals. I can
send that to you.

When creating a Farsi document, I open that reference file, keep it in the
background behind the Farsi file I am creating and then "copy-and-paste" the
distinctive Farsi item (cheh, peh, zheh, gheh) into the text where needed.
The pasted items conform to regular MS Word conventions re attaching to
following letter, medial form, and the like.

If the new Farsi file is small (1 or 2 pages), to simplify accessibility, I
sometimes paste the letters and numerals at the top of the page where I am
working.

Paul Nelson at Microsoft posted recently that MS Windows 2000's multilanguage
support feature is UNICODE-based. Farsi characters are apparently inside MS
Windows 2000 (MS Win 2K recognized, displayed and manipulated Farsi items
when I inserted them on another PC), but they take some keyboard searching
and stroking to find.

The Arabic versions of MS Windows 98/MS ME are the last to use MS proprietary
code.

HTH.

Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards from Los Angeles,