Arabic-L:GEN:'west' query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Nov 29 19:12:40 UTC 2000

1) Subject: 'west' query

Date: 29 Nov 2000
From: Waleed Al-Amri <waleed at talk21.com>
Subject: 'west' query

Dear colleagues,

I have been surprised by the way some English newspapers use the word
'West'. Will the context is that the West is used to mean only Britain and
the United States and not the geographical West that refers to a much wider
stretch of land, especially when these newspapers are talking about Russia
(or the former Soviet Union), Libya, China, or Iraq (the so-called rogue
states). My tentative interpretation of this is that there is a dialectic
relation highlighted here between: the  free, democratic world (West, fair
players) and despotic, totalitarian world.

Please feel free to send me any comments. It concerns my PhD.

Waleed Al-Amri