Arabic-L:Dialect Identification answers

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Oct 5 16:38:24 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Dialect Identification answer
2) Subject: Dialect Identification answer

Date: 03 Oct 2000
From:  aziz abbassi <moustique51 at hotmail.com>
Subject: Dialect Identification answer

Mr De Ruiter:
Regarding the rendition of /sh/ and /j/ phonemes as /s/ and /z/
respectively, the informant in question may very well be Moroccan. This
particular switch (or phonological characteristic)is indeed typical of at
least two Moroccan dialects: the Meknes dialect (heavily) and to a lesser
extent the Rabat dialect. In a converse situation the same speakers tend to
render the /s/ and /z/ sounds as the /sh/ and /j/ equivalents -- a tendency
perhaps due to hypercorrection (?). If your subject/informant IS indeed
Tunisian or Algerian, then we are noticing the extension of this phenomenon
to other eastern maghreb communities.
Hope this is useful.

Aziz Abbassi
Author, Translator
(International Education Management Services)
PO BOX 6030
Monterey, CA 93944
(831) 375-5969